Saturday, March 10, 2012

An excel document is not opening by clicking on its icon but it opens when opened through ms excel - why?

I tried to open open an excel ducument by clicking on it. It did not opened. I opened ms excel, then tried to open it through open option it opens. I re-installed ms office. But the problem still continues. I opted for system restore. Still the problem persists. Now what exactly the problem is? It happens to ms excel only. And not in any other ms office applications. Please help me.An excel document is not opening by clicking on its icon but it opens when opened through ms excel - why?
I already answered this in your other question but here was my answer:

If your .XLS extension has not been made to automatically open in excel, this may be why. If in Windows 7 or Vista, search: "Extensions". Select:



Change the file type associated with file extensions.

Another way to find this is Program Files--%26gt;Programs--%26gt;Default Programs--%26gt;Set Associations.



Wait for it to load (this may take a while) and navigate down to .XLS (or any other Excel file extensions). Select, and choose "change program". If Excel is not on the recommended list, browse for it in your program files and select the .exe. After that, they will automatically open in Excel!



Previously, I had an issue with Photoshop where even though it said it would open in Photoshop, it did not open at all when double clicked, only when opened THROUGH Photoshop. In this instance, I found Photoshop in my Program Files, duplicated the Photoshop.exe (copy and paste so it creates "Photoshop - Copy.exe", then changed the extension to open with that, and it worked fine. Simply little bugs. Usually they cannot be fixed, just worked around! ;) Good luck!







It sounds like you are having the same issue I had with photoshop. Just try changing it through extension associations. Otherwise, try duplicating the Excel executable file to create "Microsoft Excel - Copy.exe" and then set that as the program to open ".XLS", ".XLSS" and other Excel files.. That seemed to work for me. I even tried forums like Creative Cow and other editing and Adobe forums but nobody seemed to have a permanent fix. Good luck!An excel document is not opening by clicking on its icon but it opens when opened through ms excel - why?
Check for the extension of the document ... I.e *.xls or *.xlsx

No comments:

Post a Comment