Saturday, February 25, 2012

What is the difference between an MA degree and an MS degree for the Psychology field?

I know that MA is master of arts, and that MS is master of science, but what difference does it make as far as getting a job after you have your degree? I ultimately want to get into counseling, and so I am looking at graduate schools now. The school that I want to go to only offers an MA degree, but I've heard that an MS is better, but I don't really know why. Can anyone help me to understand this better? Thanks in advance!What is the difference between an MA degree and an MS degree for the Psychology field?
This is an interesting question. My son is currently in college, and despite the fact he is majoring in film, he will be earning a BS degree. Why? Because the university requires foreign language to earn a BA! He is learning disabled in a way that learning a foreign language would be impossible for him.



Another data point, I attended a liberal arts college, and despite having a double major in Math and Astronomy, I earned a BA, since that was all the college offered at that time. The degree has not affected my job prospects.



My advice to you is to talk to someone at the career office at either the school you attend, or the one you want to attend, and ask them this question - they should have a feel for if this affects jobs in counseling. I suspect not, but it is better to ask the question and get an answer than assume everything is fine and find out later it is a problem!



Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment